Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2009

Welcome to Black Friday, let the games begin.


In yesterday's Chicago Tribune there were more ads fighting for our attention than I believe I have ever seen. Cameras, toys, and TV's all were working as hard as possible to get their price in front of us first; "Look at me I am only $17.00 (a door buster) for a $75.00 scooter." We bought one, however not in store---although we tried---we purchased it this afternoon on line. I didn't even have to fight for a check out---I just clicked and went downstairs. Life is good.

But there were a few signs that were not good when it came to shopping this morning---I am hoping a lot of people purchased gifts on line. I went to Target, found a space, didn't find the Razor I was looking for; but found many other gifts on sale. I then walked right up to a checker and there was no line. Where were the 20 people waiting in line ? I had already dropped my wife off at Woodfield Mall---there was no way I was going to have to deal with the usual insanity---and what was missing? The lack of parking places, the crowds of people, the traffic jams. I could have parked right in front. (When I did go back to pick her up, I found a space in no time.)

What??? I know, what's up here? Is this not Black Friday?

Then we went to Kohl's and life was as I remembered it to be on Black Friday. The store was packed, the line for the checkout was 75 deep, the deals were better than ever. I felt like life was back to normalcy. (We found the same to be true at Nordstrom Rack.)

All in all I do believe this is going to be a very heavily discounted holiday season. On average I would say we saved a minimum of 60% off of the items we purchased. I am fine with that. I think the recession has demonstrated to us that spending is good, but we have to really be careful on what we buy and how we buy it. Except for my Kohl's purchase, it was all cash.

Something else I missed. Where were the fights? The dirty looks? When I went to Target for the Razor, I was told there were none left. When I found what I thought was one, it was in someone else's hands. Instead of grabbing it and running to the check out, I helped her scan it at the self service scanner. We laughed and I said, "Hope you enjoy it." She was a grandmother, I doubt it was for her.

The photo above was taken at the United Center in Chicago. The St. Louis Blues were playing the Chicago Blackhawks. These two teams have never liked one another and a fight is usually a given. This night there were 2 of them--no one hurt, just part of the dance these two teams go through when they show up at the same party. Part of me is happy I didn't have to punch it out this holiday season (I never have by the way) but part of the season is all about how our economy is doing. I really hope it turns out to be a point, click, purchased holiday season if the malls aren't full.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment