Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Are they on Twitter, MySpace or FaceBook?


It may seem hard to believe, but it has been only 6 years since MySpace was launched; FaceBook and Twitter came shortly there after.

Social media, as it is termed, has just exploded; if the written word and photo are not enough to engage you, you have YouTube to round out ways to let people know what you are doing, what you have found, what you think is cool (or uncool), etc. I remember when a computer was good for writing a letter. I also remember when a cellphone was used to talk to someone. Considering I use FaceBook and Twitter (I still can't grasp why and what Twitter really does) and the cellphone of old is now the digital smart phone of today, I guess I really do like technology. (If I didn't like it there would be no blog and I would be writing letters to people.)

So, what's cool about FaceBook? When I first heard about it, and MySpace, I had no idea "adults" would have any use for it. I used to say, "FaceBook, that's for kids." I retract that statement because one of the largest growth segments in social media are the 35 years+ and older. I can not begin to tell you how many people I have "re-connected" with since joining FaceBook less than a year ago. Some I want to hear from, and well you know the rest of this sentence. It's not that I am running from anyone, but if a person was not a friend or someone I had any interest in hearing from again (nice of me huh?) then why would I suddenly want to be in contact now? Fortunately this is not a large number of people and I sense I am not alone in my thoughts.

What amuses me is the amount of information people put on FaceBook about themselves. Information like, "I am taking a shower, I am eating breakfast, I am going to a baseball game, the baseball game was good, it was bad, etc." I do many of these activities, but I really never thought anyone was interested in whether or not I had my raisin bran this morning, or I took a shower. Okay, maybe they would know if I didn't take a shower even if I didn't tell them.

FaceBook is still great for kids to let other kids know how they rank in their lives, but sometimes too much information is just that---too much information. (Or, TMI for those who don't like to spell it out...LOL.) The computer has taken over our lives, all you have to do is go to any location that is wireless to see people not paying attention except to a little screen.

The photo above was taken when my two youngest daughters were watching a movie on our Mac. They don't know what Twitter is, could care less about MySpace (unless we are invading their space) and as far as FaceBook, they see that as coloring very closely into a coloring book. For right now, I am just fine with that!

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment