Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2009

The Pillars in Life.


There are people who come into our lives and when you first meet them you know they are going to play an important role. You may not have an inkling at first, but when they “play the role” they know best, it becomes very apparent the pillars they will serve during these times.

There were many people who have helped our family through my Mom’s illness. At first it was the hospital personnel, even though I got into an argument with one of the oncology doctors, they did prove to be helpful and accurate with their diagnosis and information. Unfortunately.

Then there were the friends of my parents who no doubt have spent time helping to care for my Mom and Dad---many of them have spent countless hours talking and being with my Mom when no one else was around. It’s what my Mom would have done for them, and of course they knew that. That’s what friends do for friends they love.

But there are those who are the true pillars in life; these are the people who stay for hours and take care of the ones who need them after the friends and family leave to go back to their regular lives. It’s hard to believe, but not only is this their job, this is what makes them feel complete; it’s their passion, love, and role in life. How cool is that to find what you are really meant to do!

There are two people who have played a significant role during the past 6 months since we learned of my Mom’s disease. Sure they did what they are trained to do, but it’s how they treated our family (especially my Mom and Dad) that makes them even stronger pillars. The first you have met in one of the previous Snap. Shot’s---it was my Mom’s caregiver, Anise Holmes. She cared for “Ms. Barb” like she was kin. You could tell she treasured the time she spent with my mom and vice versa; I just learned that Anise was in an auto accident last night (she is okay but sore) but what really demonstrates her passion, and compassion, is how she is making sure she’ll attend my Mom’s funeral. Her sister is driving her.

The other is Mike George. He works for Heartland Hospice. I never met Mike in person, I will today. He was so helpful in giving us a real “snap shot” of what my mother was going through as she fought on. He was not “sugary and hopeful of recovery,” and would not provide a timeline, but he knew exactly what was going on and how to inform a family about what, in this case, my Mom was experiencing. He used only one tool to determine the situation---the tool of experience. When you would talk with Mike it was like talking to a brother; he was there to answer any question, but he also really cared when we spoke. He didn’t have to say it---you just felt it!

The photo above was taken in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. It overlooks Lake Coeur d’Alene. Sure it’s a pretty picture, but it was only today when I looked at it that I figured out why I took it. I must have known there would be a day when I would talk about people who would be the necessary pillars in our life. Two of these individuals are Anise and Mike.

I probably will not be talking with Anise and Mike again after today---maybe I will---but I would like to thank them and everyone else who were so important to our family over the past few months. Sure we went through a tough time, but these two individuals treated us with what we needed at the time---pillars to tackle a situation we knew nothing about.

Thank you Anise and Mike….I will never forget you and can not thank you enough.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment