Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Passion.


We all have our passion points. For some it’s gardening, cooking, painting or riding motorcycles---for me, it’s photography. I am sure you are shocked.

I am not one who enjoys gardening---I pulled way too many weeds when I was growing up---and if you have tasted any meal I have ever created (except for barbecuing) you will not want to sit down for the meal. So that leaves passions like painting and riding motorcycles; I leave riding motorcycles to my brother in law. At least once a year he will take off on a journey----a journey that will take him hundreds of miles from home. Living in Minneapolis he has travelled to the east, west and south. I am not sure if he has ever left the country travelling north, but it would not surprise me. As far as I know, he just rides; I have no idea if he has a radio on board and I doubt he can talk on the phone. So for many hours he loses all communication with the outside world. In today’s advanced technological world, where you are always in contact with anyone around the globe, it doesn’t sound too bad!

Last year I had the opportunity to attend the 105th Anniversary for Harley-Davidson. A culture in itself, thousands of people gather as one to celebrate their passion for riding---riding a Harley. Known in many circles as H.O.G.S. (Harley Owners Group) they live and breathe being on the road with other owners----they then hang out at bars, restaurants, and other gathering spots. I can’t say for sure, but most do own a Harley.

Even though the recession has hurt Harley’s business, I love their mantra, “Screw it, Let’s Ride.” Sounds like what you would hear from a Harley owner doesn’t it? Not really. Many Harley owners are business owners, moms with kids, religious leaders and others you would not stereotype as H.O.G.S. They just love their Harley’s---in fact, the brand “Harley-Davidson” is second to “Mom” in the tattoo world.

If you think Harley only sells motorcycles, be sure and visit one of their retail stores around the country; not the motorcycle stores, the merchandise stores. They sell jackets, bottles, patches, baby clothing and much more. Because as I am told, “Once you have Harley in your blood, you bleed black.”

The photo above was taken at the 105th Anniversary. A father and son were at the grounds and I asked if I could take the father’s picture. The son was just as large as Dad, but he didn’t have the beard. I thought that added to the Harley mystique. I have never ridden on a Harley, nor do I own anything with the Harley-Davidson name on it, but if I did, I would wear it with pride. Because as they say, “there’s nothing like having a Harley between your legs.”

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment