Search This Blog

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Clouds.


I think we all have done this. Remember when you were young and you would lie on your back and look up at the clouds? They would be in the shapes of animals, cartoon characters, and countless other images. I remember seeing one of Snoopy from the comic strip, “Peanuts” when I was very young. I was told, “Are you crazy?” In my eyes, that’s what I saw, “ So I was not.” Only I couldn’t prove it, because soon the cloud morphed into something else---maybe a different cartoon, I don’t remember.

I happen to like clouds a lot. I am always amazed how you can have a nice sunny day at one point and then the clouds come in and make it a completely different one just a short while later. At least that’s the way it is in Chicago. The other day as we drove from Chicago to St. Louis there were some amazing clouds; they were ominous in the distance, but when you drove closer to them they were ablaze with reds, oranges and yellows---it actually looked like fire on the bottom of the cloud bank. I would love to show you, but it's long gone and I didn’t take a picture. Yes, I am shocked too.

As we drove further, the clouds got darker again. You could tell it was going to rain and it was going to be here in just a moment. Yet, in the distance you could see the sun. I said to my kids, “In a minute, once it stops raining, there’s going to be a rainbow.” I got the look of…”whatever you say Dad.” Sure enough not 30 seconds later off to the left was a deep, rich, rainbow. Probably one of the best I have ever seen.

You might be thinking, “Why didn’t you take a picture of the rainbow when you passed on the cloud bank?” Because my camera was in the back of the car and it was still pouring outside; to get to it I would have to get out of the car, get the camera, and take a picture---the rainbow would probably be long gone and I would be wet. Next time, I am going to go for it.

The photo above was taken in California. One of the things I love about clouds is when they come over a ridge they just take over the scene. For me, they bring about a feeling that takes me back to the days when I would lie on the ground and spend hours watching them float by. It was time when your imagination was all it took to pass the time…a lot different than what it takes today. I can’t wait for summer---you’ll find me with my hands behind my head, on my back, looking up to the sky. Wonder if I will see a dog, lion, or Bart Simpson?

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment