Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

What will they think of for next year?





When Halloween falls on a Saturday everyone seems to be involved. Mom's, Dad's, Grandparent's and everyone in between. Every year our downtown has Trick or Treating on the Saturday before Halloween, yet this year was an anomaly as the magical date fell over the weekend. The number of people in our downtown was explosive compared with a normal day.

Shop owners, who in an average weekend see little or no traffic, had hundreds of people in their stores; a great way to let people know they exist. It seems our downtown merchants often look to start businesses that are obscure and have little or no reason for being in business. Our downtown is at best existing and not thriving I am sorry to say.

This year I really took notice of the different costumes being worn by newborns to old born's (These would be also known as parents.) Elvis is very much alive as a minimum of 10 were spotted on our streets. Batman, ghosts, cowboys and pixies were in mass---and so was a Dad who was inside a trash can being carried by what appeared to be a sanitation engineer. (Politically correct usage of trash man.) The costume was one where he was actually the character in the trash can and his costume was in back of him---when you saw it however, you really had to do a double take.

There were two outfits, however, where I had to do more than a double take, I had to wonder, "Is this right?" I guess if "Octomom," Nadya Suleman, can dress as a pregnant nun, and her 8 children as devils anything goes; she does enjoy controversy.

Walking downtown a woman was pushing a stroller, nothing unusual about this, it was when you looked in the stroller where the surprise occurred. Normally I would have only one photo on the top of the blog, but for this one time only, I have placed two. If this offends you I apologize, but when you see a costume like this it either makes you smile or wonder. I did both.

If you have been to any retailer in the last 24 hours you have seen the transformation from Halloween to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Welcome to the season. Since I have not been to all of the usual retail establishments, I am not sure if I will see these two costumes for sale---something tells me I won't.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment