Search This Blog

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Stairway to ?


It's Halloween and since this is the day when witches, goblins, and every other character walk the streets of neighborhoods around the country, I thought it would be fitting to add to the moment. (Tonight I am going to be dressed as "Swiper" from the Dora series...it was not my idea, but a request!)

When this blog is read in the future it might require us to think back about the movie "Paranormal Activity" that's in theaters right now. Whereas I have not seen this movie, nor will I, this has become the most profitable movie EVER. For a mere $15,000 to produce, it has raked in more than $61,000,000. What movie did this movie overtake in profitability? Blair Witch Project---another low budget movie I am happy to say I never saw nor will I.

I like Halloween; not for the obvious benefits of "swiping" candy from the kids, but for the excitement they have in dressing up and running up to the door and blurting out those famous words..."Trick or Treat!" When I was a kid we went to one house and the person said, "What's your trick?" We stood their dumbfounded as we had never thought about it. Of what I recall we ran away. So, I guess if you run out of candy, you can "ask for a trick" and if not good enough tell the kids to come back when they have one. You will not need any candy from that point on. Guaranteed.

Another new trend is leaving the bowl on the porch with a note, "please take one piece." When I was growing up, and maybe this was just the kind of crowd I ran with, we would have interpreted this to say, "leave one piece and take the rest." I guess times have changed because I do believe kids take a piece (or two) and run to the next house.

Of course Halloween is all in fun, and movies like Paranormal Activity are not real (Blair Witch Project was originally produced as an ad campaign for making a "different film project look real") the photo above is well...where do the stairs really go to? Where did they start? Maybe this is a "stairanormal activity?" Could this be the start of something?

Since tonight is Halloween, and it's a Saturday, please make sure your kids are safe, have large bags and when there is a bowl on the porch reach in and take your favorite candy. After all, if it's anything like our household, you're going to rummage through it and take it anyway!

Thanks for stopping by.







No comments:

Post a Comment