Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Please talk with strangers---adults only.


I have a confession. I talk to strangers. I am not referring to people who I have a meeting scheduled with, I am talking about people on an elevator, in line, or in the stands at a sporting event.

Even though I talk with people I don’t know, I still use good judgment.

For some reason, and perhaps it has come over time, I have learned most people, in general, are interesting to talk to. We’re not talking about hearing their entire life story, but we’re also talking more than “Hi.” Today for example, as I was waiting for the train, I stood next to a guy I barely know. We have said hello to one another for about 6 years. Not much more than that.

As we were waiting I noticed it had started to rain. We were under a covered area, so the umbrellas provided the best clue. (As usual, didn’t have one with me.) I commented, “Looks like fall is here---if not winter.” He said, “Did you grow up here? “ I said, “No, I grew up in St. Louis.” He went on to tell me he grew up in CA and lived in Menlo Park; turns out I had represented a magazine called “Sunset” for many years based there. Not only did he know it well, he knew several people who had worked there and were family friends. (I knew some of these same people.)

We talked for more than 5 minutes---which would be 4:51 longer than we had ever spoken before. Yet we had a lot in common. Small world.

As we get older we have the ability to determine who is more likely to be safe in starting a conversation with, in comparison with those who are not. If someone has a gun or looks like he is going to become violent I make a habit of passing on any chit chat. But when you are on an elevator and you work in the same building (and are confined to a small space)---I believe it brings about a feeling of calm. Just have to be careful in what you say of course!

I still think elevators are a bit odd. Here we promote safety in everything we do, yet we get in elevators, cabs, and situations where we don't know these people---but still enter their space. Again, as adults we need to read the situation before we get into it.

The photo above is one that was taken at a beach in North Carolina. We stayed with friends, this is their “beach house,” and at night it illuminated a vast area of the beach. It’s a beautiful home, but at night it takes on a different look. It’s actually scary. If you saw it during the day, it’s very engaging. Funny how a little light, or lack of, can effect you.

It’s a pretty good bet I will continue to talk with strangers, but it’s also a very good bet I will tell my kids not to. In the end it’s all about being cautious and in today’s times it always pays to use good judgment.

I have to go, I am talking to someone next to me on the train who is a Chicago Bulls fan. See we have something in common!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment