Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2009

Big.


One of my favorite movies is "Big" staring Tom Hanks. It's a movie that I can say I have seen many times; it just seems to reach me for some reason.

What I like most about the movie is how the lead character "Josh" wishes for something and then finds out it was not as great as he thought it was going to be. If you have seen the movie you know he wants to be "big." The other day I saw an article about lottery winners who wished they had never won;these are people who won a lot of money and today it is all gone. They learned the lesson of who your real friends are, but what they really learned is sometimes you really don't want those "unanswered prayers" to be answered.

When I was younger I wanted many things I could care less about today. I think many of us feel that way as our lives have changed. What was once a dream could now be something you laugh about; could be that sports car that you were sure was the road to "cooldum" (that by the way is a made up word) or the house that would prove you had made it. I have always lived by the adage that a house is house but it really counts when it is a home. We have a nice house, but we have a much nicer home.

Often you will hear me say "when I grow up I want to do this." I am a grown up, but I still have my dreams. What is it? I want to be a professional photographer. I am not talking about apaparazzi or a wedding photographer (although there is nothing wrong with this as the money you make is incredible) I want to shoot an iconic photo. The one that stays around for months, years, decades. I have a long way to go, but we can always dream.

The photo above was taken at our local carnival that shows up in May. Like the movie "Big" there is something magical happening here. Out of the dark comes an oasis...a food oasis. It's bright, filled with food, and has a certain magic to it. I still go to carnivals but can not handle what I used to love---spinning rides are not for me and the thought of being upside down is not appealing. At all. I now take pictures. I guess being big is not all it is cracked up to be.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment