Search This Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Please pass the jelly.


When I was a kid, one of the most memorable collections I had were Flintstone jelly jars. I don't remember who marketed them, I think Welch's, or when they were no longer sold, I just remember having many of them. Similar to my baseball cards, that are no longer in the picture, I suspect they were tossed away together and are living in a landfill together. Too bad as they are now worth probably 6 to 7 times the cost when they were filled with jelly. Oh well.

I still like to collect things. I guess once you get the bug it's tough to break. I have gone through the beanie baby stage when that was hot (just to make money I promise---they are in a landfill as well), then moved to bobbleheads (I have more bobbleheads than I am going to admit) and now cameras and lenses. When I got the camera bug it bit hard; it started out with a film camera (remember those), then I received my first digital camera. I really didn't like it as I thought it was just not for me and I, as a photographer would be giving in to this new fad. That ended when I bought my first "real" digital camera---which was upgraded to a "really real" digital camera, which morphed into "an incredible real" digital camera, that was put aside when I bought my "super incredible real digital camera." I use that today.

I am done buying cameras for now.

As I search for my next collection one thing I still enjoy is joining local museums to shoot photos; the picture above is of jelly fish at the Shedd Aquarium in downtown Chicago. If you have been there then you know it's a good aquarium, there are better around the country, but they use lighting to make the fish more interesting. Of course these jelly fish are not really blue, they turn red when the red lights come on, but they are some of the strangest looking "critters" I have seen. Just don't step on them when you encounter one that is not behind glass.

So as I have moved from a very inexpensive collection of jelly jars to bobbleheads to cameras, I suspect the next stop will be lenses for the cameras. Hey maybe I can take pictures of my bobbleheads with my digital cameras?

Thanks for stopping by.


1 comment:

  1. Just think of the amazing shots you could take of your lens collection if you got this "super cool clearer than life macro" lens!

    But, since that is such an amazing lens, you would definitely want that in the shot.

    So you would need to get a different "super cool clearer than life macro" lens.

    But knowing you, that would be photo worthy too, so...

    ReplyDelete