Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Napa.

I ran into a friend the other day who had just returned from a trip to Napa, CA.

He said they had a great time exploring the wineries, they were out there for a wedding, and tasted some of the regions best wines. He asked, "Have you been to Napa?" I said, "Yes." He then went on to ask which winery was my favorite? I answered, "The one with the green vines." His look said it all. "Huh?"

About 2 years ago we drove up to Napa for a day to cap off a trip to CA---we had spent the majority of our time in Carmel. Napa is a beautiful area; although for me, since I don't drink wine very often---it was just a very scenic place. (It also has many visitors who are driving when they should not be on the road---I can only imagine the number of tickets handed out.)

We went to 3 wineries and the amount of "sampling" done by others would have put me under. We were talking with one couple who had been to 2 or 3 other wineries and were sampling as much as they could---they would then venture off to the next winery. The designated driver was the one who felt they could manage to get there. (We left before they did.)

I do wish we had been to Napa during the harvest...of what I am told the grapes are bursting off the vines and glisten in the light. To a wine connoisseur this is something to expound upon when they return home--describing how they swished, sniffed and swirled some of the best wines, but for me, it's a photo opportunity!

If you have not been to Napa it's worth the trip. Not far from San Francisco it's lush, laid back and far removed from the metropolitan areas only a short distance away.

The photo above was of the winery with the green vines; I have no idea of its name, I only know it's located across the street from another winery we visited/sampled. When I saw it, I said, "I need to take a photo of that." It just called out to me; I think the same could be said of some of the Pinot Noir's, Chardonnay's, Merlot's and more that most people visit the region to experience.

If you make it to Napa be sure and bring a thirst for some of the world's best wines---oh and bring a camera, because the wine may not last forever, but the photos will.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment