Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

What's the deal with October 2?


I spoke with 2 of my friends today; I called to wish them happy birthday. I meant to call a third but was not able to reach him to wish him happy birthday as well.

Yep, 3 friends, 3 birthdays. The good news is, I have more than 3 friends and they have different birthdates than these 3 guys. (My grandmother was also born on October 2 but at the turn of the century---the one more than 100 years ago.)

So, what is going on? Well, if you do the math, which is really not all that difficult to do, you can easily figure it out. October is the 10th month, subtract 9 months and you have New Year’s. When I was talking with one of the guys I said, “I really don’t want to go here but you do realize what was happening New Year’s the year you were born?” He said, “What are you talking about?” I said, “Do the math.” He had never thought about it. I said, “Topic change.”

We have something similar in our family but not quite the same. My Dad and his brother each have three children. My Uncle and my sister both have the same birth date; my cousin and I both have the same birth date; my brother and my cousin have birth dates 2 days a part---but my brother and my sister’s son have the same birth date. You still with me? Well check this out. My son and daughter both had the same due date however, my son was 3 weeks late coming into this world so it became a non-issue. (My daughter was born on her due date.)

When you have 365 days in a year, and one extra in a leap year, you would think you have enough days to choose from to be born, but I guess that’s not the case in our family!

The picture above is one we like to take; whenever someone celebrates a birthday we turn off all the lights and bring the cake to the birthday girl or boy. The lit candles give off a great glow and that’s the only lighting you need. We have them for each of our kids dating back 7 years. They are not the most challenging pictures to shoot, you just have to make sure you take the photo before they blow out the candles. (You can probably guess why.)

In case you are wondering, and if you have gotten to this point in the blog, October 5 is actually the most popular birth date in the United States.

Why? I will let ask.com tell you the answer.

The most common birth date in the US is October 5, which is at the end of the gestation period of a human if conception were to take place on New Year's Eve”

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Mark - Great blog - my sister's birthday is October 2nd ...

    sorry to read about your mom ... glad you have mad eit home to spend some time ...

    take it easy ...

    Darryl

    ReplyDelete