Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Say cheese, eggplant or whiskey.


A lot has changed in photography; the phrase above has not. I don't know why someone suggested "saying cheese" as the appropriate way to get some one to smile. So, I went to ask.com to find out why.

This is what I learned. "By saying 'cheese' most people form their mouths into what appears to be a smile like shape." I don't know about you, but when I say cheese, this doesn't happen. But it must work because not only do we do it in the U.S., but other countries have adopted our way of generating a smile---except they use different words. For example in Iran they say, "Apple;" in China they say, "Eggplant;"in Latin America they say, "Whiskey." Hmmm...I guess if you have enough whiskey it's probably pretty easy to smile before you pass out.

Recently I shot photos again at the "Sweet Maple Cafe" in Chicago; for those of you who read my blog on a regular basis---thanks Sis----you may remember how I featured Laurene Hynson, who owns the cafe. (If you are intrigued, or you have no idea what I am referring to, here is the blog: http://mrosenbaum123.blogspot.com/2009/09/thanks-for-stopping-by.html). At the cafe getting people to smile or let me take their picture always surprises me. I walk up, start a conversation, and get them to give me their best smiles. I am sure they are hoping I am going to leave, but I do achieve what I am hoping for. Except one man. He would flat out not let me take his picture.

He said he did not have a job and was not in a position to have his photo taken. I didn't ask any other questions as not only was it none of my business, but I didn't want it to become my business.

Being a photographer does allow you to meet a lot of people and feel closer to animals. (I assume even animals want to have their photos taken.)

The photo above was taken at the Brookfield Zoo outside of Chicago. Now, I am not sure if this was a total fluke, or he knew what I was doing, but if you look at his mouth, he is smiling for the camera. I don't speak giraffe so I was not able to suggest he say "cheese" or any other words that might have suggested he "flash the teeth." But he did. Fortunately the shutter clicked.

I can't wait to take pictures of other zoo animals; I will have to learn their language. But if whiskey is the answer in Latin America and Apple in Iran, I am sure somewhere I can find out what elephants say before they give me a pose.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment