Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2009

He outlived Michael Jordan as a Chicago Bull


One of my favorite things to do is to take pictures at Chicago Bulls games. There are many of us in the stands and chances are we have many of the same photos inside our cameras.

There are two differences that make a photo a "wow" and a "delete." I know both of them all too well; unfortunately I know the "deletes" a lot better than the "wows." If you have been to sporting event that takes place inside a stadium you may have noticed bright flashes of light that literally illuminate the entire stadium. Although for only a split second, it's what makes a picture a photograph and not just a dark and blurry shot. This burst of light also ruins any photos taken at the same time shot by anyone who is not connected to the lights overhead. Why doesn't everyone have access to these lights? Because the cost is ridiculous and I believe there are only 6 or 8 in the entire stadium---they are reserved for the media and professional photographers.

But then there are times when you can find the opportunity to really shoot something that's not often shot. Benny the Bull when he waves the Bull's flag. I had thought about taking this picture before I had gotten to the game. I was fairly high up in the stands for this game and I had a really good lens with me. Actually a friend of mine who I convinced to bring his lens, let me use it for the opening of the game. I was actually a bit anxious before I took the shot because it is one that's either going to happen or not. This night it did.

Shooting sports is different than shooting photos of a house, tree, or family. Why? Because the players get traded, retire, and/or do something that ruins their image. In the case of Benny the Bull he has been around for as long as I can remember. He is not likely to be traded, retire any time soon, but he has had a few controversies along the way. He was sued of what I recall a few times for "behavior" situations. I am not sure what he did. You can "Google" it.

The photo above was taken from the seat I was in that night. I took about 6 shots, very quickly, and one came out. The others were not even close to what was captured that night---it was a very fortunate shot. How much do I like it? I have it framed on my wall. Because unlike Michael Jordan, Ben Gordon, and many other professional athletes, Benny is here to stay for a while.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment