Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

Someone to watch out for us.


This is not a blog to promote or to disagree what's happening overseas in Iraq, Iran and other countries. I am not a loud enough voice to have any impact as I believe this blog likely maxes out at less readers than say some of the e-mails I send. That would be a handful.

One thing I do know is the men and women who are fighting for our country are very brave. Much braver than I am. The war the U.S. has been involved in is actually short in comparison with many wars that have taken place around the world---but one loss of life, as I see it, is one loss too many.

Recently I read an article about a father who needed medical care for his wife and family and performed a very brave act. He enlisted so they would be taken care of while he was gone. I found the story to be very humbling, as I have been out of work for some time and knowing what this man did was something I didn't consider. Of course at my age I would have enlisted and been up for retirement all in the same day. I think you can see how this man cares and loves his family to the point of risking his life.

If you have been to Washington D.C. perhaps you have seen the soldiers who are in the photograph above. They are across the field from the Vietnam Memorial on the Mall. It's a very moving display. If you have not seen them it's worth seeing. If you have been to Washington and seen some of the photo exposes from the wars you know how photography has played a role in capturing some very moving and important moments in U.S. and world history. You will see many of these exhibits at the Smithsonian Institution.

By now you may have figured out I love photography. But it's not just the act of taking photos, it's all about taking the steps to capture a moment. One that might bring a smile, a feeling of insecurity or discomfort, or even a tear---no matter what a photo does to you, it just might move you to think about people who matter in your life. Whether you know them or not, a picture is worth as they say, "a thousand words." For the men and women who are fighting in my absence, I would like to send out a thousand prayers for their well being. I also would like to say thanks.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment