Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

And the rust is history.


My wife and I enjoy going to markets---whether it's a farmer's market, antique or art show. There is something to be said about the people who are behind these local events. They are engaged, passionate, and proud of what they have to sell. But it's also very difficult to not offend these individuals as you move from one area to another---if you are not interested, you just keep walking. But to an artist for example, who has put their heart and soul into their creation, you have to be very strong. I am not sure I could handle that with my photography---it's way too personal.

Recently we went to an antique show in Sandwich, IL, a small town about 50 miles from Chicago. We have been going for many years; but as the economy has tanked, and the bloom appears to be off the antique rose, more and more people are saying "no" to the relics of long ago. I assume they are now seen as musty, dusty and rusty items that are not wanted---they are also expensive at times. There have been many times when I have scratched my head and said..."you have got to be kidding me?" Then you see people leaving with these same items. Go figure.

When we go to Sandwich I insist on buying one item----every time. Fresh kettle corn. A combination of salt, sugar and popcorn swirled around in a huge vat. It's a must. Except this time, as I searched for the kettle corn stand, it was no where to be found. I was truly bummed out. There were the fresh donut, lemonade and pita stands, but no kettle corn. I left empty handed. I will likely go back next year, but if the kettle corn stand is a thing of the past, I am afraid I might be as well when it comes to visiting Sandwich, IL

The photo above is a picture of a bus door. It was taken in Texas. It was amongst a number of rusted out cars, buses and trucks spread out over a big field in the middle of nowhere. Although I will never drive in this bus, rust and decay do make for interesting pictures.

You won't find me buying any rusted items at an antique fair, but you might find me buying an old magazine advertisement, trading card, or item that only has value for those who wanted to be reminded of days long ago. Like when they had kettle corn at Sandwich, IL.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment