Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Old Glory.


There is something very special about the Flag. You don't need to say the U.S. Flag or Flag of the United States of America, to me it's just the "Flag."

I love the Flag. Always have, always will.

Probably one of my funniest memories about the Flag happened when I was at a sporting event. I can't remember which one, but I remember what happened like it was yesterday. The announcement comes over the system, "And now please rise for our National Anthem." The band starts and it's time to sing. Like always, the words come forward, "Oh say can you..." (You know it well most likely.) Now, I don't sing loud, and I do know the words---but one gift I have never possessed is much of a voice. In other words, I can't carry a tune.

As we are approaching, "Whose broad stripes and bright stars.." a person in front of me turns around and asks me to "please stop singing." I was really embarrassed. I never claimed to have a good voice, and I was not singing very loud, but I guess it was so bad that it was disruptive. (Even today, when I sing the National Anthem I always keep it way down in volume---barely over a whisper as a matter of fact.)

Here's a little trivia fact for you. Did you know the original title of the National Anthem was, "In Defense of Fort McHenry?" I sure didn't. Also, the song is much longer than what we sing at stadiums, shows and fields around the country; if we sang the entire song we would likely be standing for several minutes. (Imagine, we would have to put our beers, popcorn and hot dogs down for a longer period of time than we could handle.)

The photo above is one I have taken every 4th of July in Chicago. It's a giant Flag hung on the side of the Wrigley Building for about 4 days. It's HUGE, and beautiful. When I see it on the side of the wall, I will stand and just look at it in the distance. I have viewed it from water level, from a higher floor of an office building and from street level. No matter where I view it, every angle makes me very proud to be an American. I love the red, white and blue.

If we are ever at a baseball, hockey, basketball or football game together, please forgive me when they start to play the National Anthem. I will try to keep it down.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment