Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Real emotion.


Last February my wife and I started training to be "real" wedding photographers. I am not sure if there is a difference between real and fake wedding photographers, but with what we learned it's actually a lot more than snapping a picture. You learn almost everything of how to take pictures---from taking photos with all different lighting sources to making sure you have clear instructions on what the bride wants and is expecting on her day; the groom is rarely mentioned for some reason.

What's really interesting about wedding photography is you often think you know what to expect, but often the unexpected becomes the norm. I am actually okay with that as it makes it more interesting. Whereas we have finished the training we have yet to shoot a wedding professionally. We have photographed my nephew's wedding---I think we understand what it takes. We just need more weddings to shoot.

"Emotional events" are really important to family and friends. Many of us have taken snap shots at weddings, Bar Mitzvah's, prom and homecoming (these last two are very important) but what's always consistent are the people who let you know how they took classes and/or used to shoot pictures when they were younger. I always ask, "Would you like to take a picture with my camera?" They sometimes say "yes" but not always. I think they are concerned they might either break the camera or have a photo not come out as well as they were sure it would. I don't care how the photo comes out---it's their picture after all---but I do watch to make sure they are careful with the camera. I would likely cry.

The photo above was a surprise. The bride is my nephew's wife of more than a year---she was a very easy bride to work with! When you are shooting pictures at a wedding you don't look at the outcome until after the event---I didn't see this photo until a couple days afterward. When I saw it, and I am not 100% sure if I took it or my wife did, I just knew this was the real thing---pure emotion.

In the world of photography, when capturing the moment is the difference between a keeper and delete, I love photos like this. That's why they call it a Kodak moment!

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment