Search This Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lyle.


This past week it was announced that music fans attending concerts would be allowed to take photos on their "point and shoot" cameras. I have no idea where concert promoters and security have been, but people have been taking pictures at concerts for as long as I can remember.

Why did they suddenly say it was okay? Because they learned the photographs taken by fans, which more than likely never make it beyond the scrap book, have had no effect on sales of memorabilia. Pardon my 12-year old impression, well "duh." When you are sitting hundreds of feet away, with lights flashing on the stage, the best you can do is get an outline. Who would buy this?

Many years ago, and we are talking a long time ago, my friends and I went to see the rock band Queen. They were just incredible. One of my friends snuck in a camera. It was a film camera and I assume it was a Kodak Instamatic for those who remember them. In other words, it was about 1/1000th of what we have today; we thought they were the best cameras at the time---and for us, they were. Of what I recall the photos were pretty much a bright light with an outline of a body. Funny, no one wanted to buy them.

So now you will be able to bring in a point and shoot digital camera---something that has been happening since they were introduced--- and now without the fear of being told you can't. Funny thing about photography, and musical events, is there's never a question when it comes to pro sports or even Ringling Brothers. Most security will say to me, "nice camera."

The photo above was taken at Ravinia---the outdoor theater located about 20+ miles from Chicago. It's a great setting where you can sit on the lawn, have a nice dinner, and enjoy the music. Or, if you would like, you can purchase seats in the pavilion for a more intimate opportunity to be closer to the performer. In this case it was Lyle Lovett, someone I was not very familiar with---all I knew was he was briefly married to Julia Roberts. The concert turned out to be much better than expected---nice night, great acoustics, and my wife's point and shoot.

It's going to be a while until they allow the better cameras to be included as the "accepted ones"
at concerts and performances---I am reasonably sure when the photos are taken they will sell briskly when they become available.

Really? No.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment