Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Coming to a theater near you.


I was talking to a friend today about the band, “The Runaways.” For many of you, if not most, you are probably saying, “I have never heard of them.” If it weren’t for my friend, and his very eclectic taste in music when we were growing up, I would have said the same thing.

When I saw a major motion picture now in theaters highlighting this “all girl band,” was when I knew I had to call him. Yes it’s been probably 35 years since we saw them in concert, but it was the day after the concert I wanted to talk to him about. I said, “Do you remember when we met them at the record store in the mall?” He kind of remembered, and after talking about it for a few minutes, he said, “Yeah I do remember meeting them.”

Imagine this. Here we are, 16 or 17 years old, thinking we were so cool, in the middle of a record store. We are sure we are going to hang with them after the meet and greet as they call it. In come 4 very put together rock and rollers and here we are gawking at them. If there has ever been a large “L” on someone’s forehead, it was planted smack dab in the middle of mine for everyone to see. Now keep in mind, one of the band members is Joan Jett who turned out to have a pretty decent career in the music business; after meeting us, she never called, wrote or even e-mailed. Wait, she couldn’t e-mail, the Internet was still 20 years away. Okay, she didn’t call or write and I didn’t buy her albums.

While talking to my friend I saw another movie featured that opens tomorrow nationwide. It’s about 4 guys who end up in a hot tub, and through it travel back in time. I think it’s appropriately called, “Hot Tub.” I assure you, no one in my family would join me to see this soon to be classic. Okay, maybe just our 12 year old would be there, but then again, I would probably end up going alone as she has better taste than that.

If “Hot Tub” is good, it will be a guy’s classic. The kind of movie we will march into and out of, with memories about when we were young, cool and so cocky that we knew we were for sure the ultimate “chick magnets.” Those were the days, and these are the days, when you really need to see a movie like this to re-live your past. Of course you come back from this trip; but then again, if it’s that good, you’ll come back with memories that were so deeply planted in the back of your mind you never thought they would show up again. If it’s bad, well you still have the memories.

It’s a toss up of which one I will see first, but like the photo above, movies like these are like a stairwell that can take you back in time. A time when we remember life being simpler, carefree and fairly uncomplicated; my promise to myself, for those 2 hours, I am going to let loose and have as much popcorn as I want and I might toss some for old times.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment