Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tastes like chicken.


I am not a real adventurous eater. When I find something I like, I will eat it. If I really find something I enjoy, I will eat it that day and possibly have it again the next day. Not what I would call too terribly exciting I guess. Some of my tastes come from when I was growing up in St. Louis, where barbecue is found throughout the city. Here’s a little known fact for all you trivia lovers, which 2 cities fight it out for the most barbecue sauce consumed in America? That would be St. Louis and Kansas City. What’s one of the most popular barbecue sauce brands? Maull’s---where you “don’t baste your barbecue, you ‘Maull’ it.” If you have had Maull's recently, you know there are better sauces out there, but this brand is a tradition.

It was only when I moved to Chicago when I learned about food diversity. The thought of consuming raw fish wrapped in a seaweed roll was about as likely as my eating “Sambar”—one of the most popular Indian dishes. (I actually will not eat it, but I do like Sushi.) I will never forget when my Mom met my wife the first time we went to dinner. When it was suggested “calamari” be ordered, my Mom literally spit out her water. She thought it was a joke---however, it wasn’t. It was a very memorable moment that we still laugh about every time we order it. Even though my Mom is no longer alive, I doubt she would have eaten it anyhow.

I am not sure of the origin of the phrase, “Taste’s like Chicken," but I do know it has been stated when alligator, frog leg’s and other foods were served at dinners I have attended. I didn’t try the frog’s legs because it reminds me of one of the funniest comedy albums ever, “That’s Not Funny That’s Sick” and I guess the visual of a frog on crutches coming out of the kitchen made it un-appealing. I did try alligator, and by the way, it really does kind of taste like chicken. At the zoo yesterday we saw an alligator that was probably 10 feet long; it might taste like chicken, but it would certainly put up more of a fight than chicken should you get in its way.

The photo above was taken in one of the “houses” at the zoo. My daughters wanted to go in one of the rooms and saw a boy inside this big fishes mouth; that was all it took for them to want to do the same. Once I saw how funny it looked, I knew this one had potential. I found the dangling legs to be really funny, and took enough pictures to know I got the shot. After we left and went home, I made some funky meal---when I asked how it was, they said, “It tastes like chicken.”

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment