Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Different.


Sometimes it’s not easy when you feel like you are different in a sea of sameness. Not that it’s always a bad thing, but it is a bit awkward. As someone who travels, and is travelling more, I have again started to get used to being with, “Me, Myself, and I.” This is not a plea for empathy it’s just something that you have to get used to when you have not done it in a while.

While in NY this past week, I got to know a number of new people who I was not anticipating meeting. From the man at the service station (yes I do ask for directions) to the woman at the decaying hotel (yes I got lost after getting the “right directions” from the guy at the service station) to the two guys in the middle of “who knows where” who helped me find my way to the airport---I want to say “thanks!” I have been asked, “why don’t you have a GPS?” All I can say now is, “that’s a really good question.”

The other night when I dined for 3rd time at the same place, and had the same meal each time, I began to think about how I am someone who has the opportunity to explore the world (within U.S. boundaries at this time) yet still carry a lot of the same habits with me.
When I find something l like, such as the vegetable Panini, I order it more than once. Sue me.

It’s only when I am involved in something that requires real concentration that I break from my usual pattern. Whether it’s business, meeting up with friends, or of course photography, I change course. Usually with little fear; but the other day I was concerned when I was taking photos at Midway airport. I sensed that I was being watched by security as I took photos of an airplane being de-iced. I was kind of right; I say, “kind of” because once I put the camera away security went away. I do not like the feeling of being watched, even though I am usually doing the watching through my lens.

I actually, for some crazy reason, have “trust” in people. Maybe it’s my Midwestern upbringing, I don’t know. But when it’s very obvious by my lack of a New York accent, when everyone else’s is “thick” and difficult to understand, that you come across as being truly different. Deep down, I love it---maybe that’s why I am in sales. It’s that opportunity not to walk in everyone else’s path.

The photo above was taken in a field adjacent to the neighborhood where we purchased our dogs. (We only have one now). When I saw the thousands of orange flowers I knew I had to have the picture, but it was when I saw a “lone weed,” I immediately knew I had the picture that told a story. Sure it’s not easy standing out amongst a sea of clones, but when you do, you usually have a story to tell. For me, it’s usually found in “Snap.Shot.”

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment