Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Got’cha Day.


For many of us, we have no idea what it’s like to adopt a child. What a gift it is to both the parents and the child who may, or may not, have had the quality of life he or she is now having. Based upon the countries where most of the children are adopted from, there is a very good likelihood their lives are much better here in the U.S.

We have a number of friends who have been blessed with children they have adopted. I look at them, and often you have to pause and wonder, what it would be like without the parents who went overseas, met with the officials, sometimes were told they would have to go back to the states and return, and then go through this stressful time again. And sometimes again. What can you say about these individuals? I think “thank you” is probably the best answer.

What I love most about some of the children who we have met through our daughters are their personalities. We were at the home of one of our friends last night, and their daughter looked up at me and said, “Mawk you are so silly.” With a giggle she went back to eating her birthday cake---looked up at me and smiled. Whereas I don’t know the details of her birth Mom, or her homeland, I know for 100% sure she would never have the life she has with a Mom and Dad like our friends. Her sister, who also comes from China, is the one to watch---this little dark-haired girl, who laughs at the drop of a hat, is one of the best baseball players I have seen for someone her age. She is far better than most of the boys on the team, and when you mention how good she is to her Mom and Dad, like a typical parent, they try and deflect it as to not appear to brag. If I were them, I would brag---she is that good.

One of the traditions families who have adopted children have is called “Got’cha Day.” Similar to what we would know as the celebration of your birthday, this celebration is in honor of the day where we as a family, “Got’cha.” What’s funny about our friends is, one of the daughters wants to have her Got’cha Day, but said to the other younger sister, “We can just have family day in celebration of your day.” Needless to say that did not go over too well. Funny, sisters, brothers, and siblings, all want it their way. We know it very well.

The photo above are the 2 daughters of our friends. I asked before I wrote today’s “Snap.Shot” because I wanted to tell their story, but didn’t want to invade their privacy. She was more than happy with my writing about these 2 beautiful girls. I think we should all have “Got’cha Days;” unlike a celebration of the day you were born, a Got’cha Day is just what one of the daughter’s said, “it’s the day we Got’cha, and we became a larger family because of it.”

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments: