Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

March Sadness.


I have never been able to pick a winning team when the NCAA playoffs happen every March. Known as “March Madness,” I often wonder why I even participate. Of course it has to do with everyone else in the office doing it, and everyone else always doing well into the later rounds like the “Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4 and so on.” I am usually out of contention by then.

Today, as we were gathered around the TV set in our office, I was the butt of many jokes; it was almost a clean sweep in the loss column for the first 4 games, but one of my teams pulled off a win in overtime. Yippee. That’s okay; I wouldn’t know what to do with the money anyhow. Yeah, kind of like I wouldn’t know what to do with lottery winnings if I won; by the way, one of my old neighbors won the lottery in the early 90s. Very nice people and based upon their previous lifestyle, they used their good fortune the way it should be used---they helped out family members and lived a much better lifestyle.

As we were watching the games I said, “Did you see that bright flash on the screen?” I let them know that was the light system in the stadium and that’s what the professional photographers use when they need that great shot. You could have heard a pin drop---their response, “oh, okay.” Oh well, but I would bet if I were there taking pictures, and took some of their favorite teams, they would appreciate the lighting system. Since that’s not the case, I get an “oh, okay.”

This time of the year is huge for events; it starts off with the Super Bowl, then the Oscar’s and finally with March Madness. As a photographer I could think of nothing more exciting than being able to cover any or all of these events. It makes my heart jump. I do believe I will shoot an NCAA game again, and will one day make it to the Super Bowl, it’s the Oscar’s I am not sure about. Honestly with all of the action on the runway, and the number of photographers pushing and shoving each other to photograph that couple who likely not be dating or married the next time they are on the carpet, I would put that as my 3rd choice. But then again---I would like to still be there.

The photo above was taken a couple of years ago when the Mizzou Tigers played Oklahoma State. Missouri came into the game undefeated, however that label ended that night as they got trounced. What I love about this picture is the action and blur. For some reason, as a photographer you always go for the action shot---this one, to me, lived up to that. As the Mizzou Tigers prepare for their game tomorrow, I hope they end up winning. Why? Because I am the only person in our office who has them moving on in the NCAA series---that way I can pretend I know how to pick’em.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment