Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

When you least expect it.


I am not a very big soccer fan. Check that, I know really very little about the game except that you run up and down the field and try to kick the ball into a net.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine started a company that produces a device that holds down a soccer goal so it doesn’t fall over. I know, I thought the same thing. You’ve got to be kidding me? But then he explained it to me. This was a device he designed because he knew, first hand, of the danger a soccer goal has on unsuspecting players who grab and swing on it. Sounds innocent until it lands on top of your head, neck, arm or leg and 400 pounds of steel takes its toll. Whether it is an adult or small child the force multiplies quickly and the damage is horrific.

He was telling me of a child whom a few years ago had a goal fall on top of him; he later died. This wasn’t the first time a goal had taken a life---you can look it up on line and see it’s not as rare of an occurrence as you might think it is. All it takes is one life saved to understand why this product makes a lot of sense and should be a part of playing field. If you recall, it took one death at an NHL game for netting to be placed around the area where pucks would soar into the stands.

Last summer, when I was unemployed, my friend asked me to help him take pictures of some of the units at a local soccer field. To do this, we had to install the units on every goal. This might not seem like much of an undertaking, but 5+ hours later, I think we were almost finished. In the end he sold a number of these alert systems that warn when the goal is not firmly secured--- the best way he could demonstrate its validity was to put it in action at a tournament.

We joke, as I am the “official photographer” of the company; actually I really hope he makes millions of dollars because he has promised me when he does, he is taking my entire family on a vacation we will never forget. We have not booked our tickets, but I really do believe there is a need for this system…it’s called “Goal Alert.” As I see it, all it takes is one horrible moment, and you will be wondering how this could have happened and why they didn’t think about it. It’s only a soccer goal after all.

The photo above was taken at my daughter’s soccer game. Like many children throughout the world, soccer, football, or whatever it is called, is the world’s most popular sport. With so many people involved in the game, it’s critical that we can all return to our homes knowing we played to the best of our ability. The last thing you want to do is have a winning moment become your last on Earth.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment