Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Doctor is out.


For many of us, gaining weight is something we deal with as we get older. However, there are some of us who have dealt with weight issues for the majority of their lives. I am one of those individuals.

I know I am not alone because every January 1, the commercials for weight loss are all over the airwaves. If Americans were that good at losing weight, and maintaining their weight loss, those commercials would disappear; looks like they are here to stay as Kirstie Alley recently announced on Oprah that she has new weight loss regiment.

Recently there have been countless studies on obesity and the impact it will have, and is having, on today’s health care system; if it’s not bad enough, just wait as today’s overweight children will deal with it as adults. That is unless substantial changes are made. Being overweight, as we have been told countless times, increases the chances of diabetes, heart disease, and many other nasty situations you most likely would like to avoid. If there has ever been a time to lose weight and get your health back, the time is now.

Having been overweight as a kid, no actually I was fat, I know how difficult it can be; you have to squeeze into your fat clothes, dress in colors that do not accentuate your “portly” body (bright colors are not good) and worse yet, deal with the comments behind your back and to your face.

But there is hope. Once you set your mind to it, you really can change your life by eating healthier. You can still have “some” of your old time favorites---just not too many of them. By learning the value of exercise, and sticking to it---you’ll not only be in better shape, but you can eat more. Oh here’s one more while were on the topic---if you are under the age of 17, or so, and you have tall genes in your family, you may still sprout. I did, however if you are not sure of your genetic makeup, don’t count on this happening. (Especially if you have really short parents.)

Dealing with weight issues is not fun---but they can be overcome. When I was in 11th grade, I worked at the dress factory where my Dad worked. Every day the “hot food” truck would pull up at break time. Every day I would eat something from it. Then after work my brother and I would go enjoy milk shakes from the local ice cream stand. It was within walking distance, but we drove to it. Wouldn’t want to burn those extra calories when I am packing them on. That summer, after I had lost 30 pounds the year before, I found them all back on my body. Fortunately I lost them all again---but it took me more than 30 years before I had another malt. I think I have had one since then. I don’t miss them at all.

The photo above was taken in New York during a recent snowstorm. Stranded on the street, this hot food truck seemed to be waiting for customers to return. There were none that day; in fact here was little happening on the street except for cars driving by and my taking pictures. Neither one proved to be too exciting. As I have gotten older I have gained some weight; I keep telling myself I am going to lose it. After writing today’s “Snap.Shot.” I am going to give it a try again. we’re nearing swimsuit season, and when the hot food truck pulls up, I want to make sure I walk by it with a smile on my face.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment