Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Still waiting for the call.


When I first started “Snap. Shot.” a little more than 6 months ago, I said I would write for a year unless Sports Illustrated called and asked me to shoot for them. One game, that’s all it would take. Well as you might guess, they haven’t called yet. But then again, I did change my cell phone number so perhaps that’s why I have not heard from them.

I have to believe that there are times when they are looking for a photographer to cover a game; I am available, one game, what’s the big deal? I will even take pictures of the Chicago Cubs if they want me to! It’s not like I am asking to shoot the annual swimsuit issue although I am available if they need me for that as well. Okay, I will shoot two games as long as I am on the field, court, or by the ice. However,I don’t want to sit on the ice---I did that last year for figure skating and it's way too cold.

Now that I have passed one-half year writing this blog I am pretty sure it’s only a matter of time before I get the call. I mean come on, have I not demonstrated I know how to shoot sports pictures? And if they need a writer, I do have a degree from a prestigious journalism school; does it really matter that I was one of the worst writers in my class?

I have to admit that writing “Snap. Shot.” continues to be fun. I usually write it on the train either going to my job or coming from it. It all depends on the day. I have learned a lot about myself---I have learned that I really can make a commitment to something I know nothing about and stick with it. I have learned to write in a fairly concise manner and make every attempt to keep those who read every day want to come back. I do know how many people have logged on to the site over the past few months (once I figured out how to add analytics to the site) and there have been a lot of people who have “stopped by.” Thanks to all who have.

The photo above was taken at Fenway Park in Boston. I watched the Red Sox pummel the Royals; it’s okay I was there to have fun and take pictures. When I saw this player talking to someone who was inside the scoreboard, I knew I had to have this picture. I still think it’s fun, and it’s what makes a sports photo more than an action photo. I am sure Sports Illustrated would have loved this picture, but then again they haven’t called me. Yet.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment