Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The rats are winning.


As a society we live in a very fast-paced world. Every day we get up, grab a cup of coffee, juice, water, or all 3 and head on our way. When the weekend comes, we continue making up for everything we couldn’t get done during the week. This is what makes us feel complete. I guess.

I know when I slow down on the weekend my body, and body clock, seem to say, “What’s going on here? We don’t have time for this.” Yesterday I heard one of my associates discuss her weekend. She went out on Friday night, slept in on Saturday, went out on Saturday night and watched basketball all day Sunday. It is after all March Madness and we have seen our brackets decimated in a way we never dreamed would happen. I laughed and said, “I can’t remember the last time I sat on the couch and watched sports all day; the look she gave, because she does not have kids, was you should try it, it’s a great way to relax. Chalk up one for human kind…and one less for the rats.

When the alarm goes off at a ridiculous hour each weekday morning, I often times will lie in bed and think about the day ahead---and other thoughts that race through my mind. It has become habit over the years and I don’t know what would happen if I sat there and said to myself, “I have nothing to think about or do today.” I would be in a major funk if that were to happen. I suspect we are so used to the race we run in each day, that in many ways it defines who we are. Chalk one up for the rats…we’re tied 1 to 1.

When spring truly decides to stay around for more than a few days, I know I am going to be out taking pictures; there is something about this time of year. One thing I am going to try and do is take photos with an “infrared” camera I traded for last year. If you have not seen photos taken with this type of retrofitted camera, you are in for a treat. Although they look like they come from another planet, the images jump out with bright whites, rich darks, and much more. Having fun with your passion is what we need to do more of each day and I am going to give it my all. Chalk another one up for human kind….game over.

The photo above was taken in New York several weeks ago. As I stood in Grand Central Terminal and watched people flow through, I just couldn’t help but think about the crazy life we lead. We work as hard as we can, race to get home, spend a little time with the family, race back to work, check our Blackberry’s, computers, and voicemail to see if we have missed anything. I am one of the worst offenders of the system---right now I am looking to put another rat to rest. Hopefully I can.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment