Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Here’s to our heroes.



Right now I am on a flight to NYC. That has nothing at all to do with today’s blog. But something on board today’s flight does. As we were getting ready to take off, one of the flight attendant’s asked who flying on the flight was a Veteran. A few men and women raised their hands. (This is a Southwest Airlines flight so it is of little shock the question was asked.) After their hands were raised, the flight attendant said, “I would like to thank you for your service and bravery to your country.” The plane erupted in applause as you might expect.

It is really hard for me to believe that a year from this September 11th will be the 10th Anniversary of that horrific day. Ten years! It seems like it was just yesterday and as far as I am concerned, I hope it always feels that way. We can never forget what happened that Tuesday morning---and I am fearful it will become a lesson in a history book or a question on Jeopardy. That’s why I love when they ask questions like they did on this flight.

When I was growing up, America was involved in the Vietnam War; I was too young to serve, and by the time it ended, I was still too young to serve. But I thought about it, and thought long and hard about the soldiers who gave their lives for their country. The difference back then, in comparison with today, is no airline would ever have made a comment about our soldiers. The American people despised the war---it divided the country and the fall out in our government and neighborhoods was tremendous. What was horrible was the way soldiers were treated upon arriving back on American soil. Like they wanted to be in the war? I don’t think so.

I think we learned a valuable lesson about Patriotism with the war in Iraq; with this war, people are not condemning the soldiers for their actions, they are focusing the attention on the people who made the decision to move into war. Whether it's right or wrong to be at war I can not say, but I do know to “kick the soldiers” because they did what they were told to do, is not right. I don’t sense the feeling they are being blamed when the return home to their families, friends, and places of employment. I am proud we learned our lesson.

The photo above was taken at the United Center earlier this year. In Celebration of Martin Luther King’s Birthday, they saluted all of America for the "forward moves" we have made making this country a better place. How cool is that? I love America, always have, and when I see photo opportunities that salute the red, white and blue, there is little doubt what my camera will be doing. It will be capturing what America is all about---freedom.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment